Hey guys with the reset in just 8 days and my return to OD i figured ide make a post with some tips for starting up, these arent manditory and are just my opinions so if you have something to add feel free or do whatever makes you happy and play the way you have fun 🙂
1. Make a sorceress first (Blizzard)
The sorceress is the most efficient ladder starting character, you have teleport and good dmg with low gear investment, Fire sorc is also viable but can do less and not as easily. Reason for blizzard stated later on in these tips.
2. Level through normal as fireball sorc with leaf staff( shop desired +skills and 2 soc from akara) and tir ral from countess. For nightmare respec into a frozen orb sorc and for hell go with ur final blizzard setup if this is what you choose
3. Get easy to obtain runewords like stealth, lore, leaf, ancients pledge, spirit, insight, rhyme, splendor etc to gain early advantages like skills, fcr, resists etc.
4. Save ur flawless topazs for making ptopazs so you can make 3ptopaz helm and 4ptopaz chest for big mf bonus early.
5. I dont reccomend using a merc early on because they die easily and screw up your positioning for early mfing, mana pots work great with no insight, but if you want to use a merc however treachery armor, tals mask and insight or obedience are great starter items there is also many other budget merc setups, even if ur a cold sorc still use nm holy freeze defensive merc it will freeze cold immunes and increase your tele survival.
6. 1pt warmth, static, tele, frozen armor
These give you Mana regen, health dropper, mobility, freeze attackers/ defense. I dont reccomend trying to static bosses if your solo mfing, with this gear ull get wrecked if you stay in range of a boss and with low skills static range is basically melee, use this for pub boss kills or once you aquire a decent setup
7. Mf areas that dont have many immunes to your element, ex: for cold sorc ancient tunnels/ andy/ meph/ pindle
8. Moat trick mephisto (google if you dont know this) its a very important early mephisto strategy, for andariel just cast blizz's and keep teleing back and forth to make her walk through them, for pindle enter portal and tele to entrance and spam blizz on pindle pack, if one of his adds manage to come close or charge freeze them using ice blast which will be your shift+left click
9. My final most important tip ive discovered over the years and this is totally optional to everyone but for me its a must, sell everything decent you find asap! Your sorc with noob gear will farm these spots so easily and if you wanna build up wealth to afford to deck out a character this is the best way to go. As soon as all the bots get up and running and the prices start dropping big time your not gonna get anything for your shakos and occys etc but the bots will be raking in the high runes and godly drops so this puts you in a very bad position money wise, take as much as you can get early and fast so you can afford all the gg stuff once everything starts dropping which wont be long into the ladder. Sell a shako for 2000 fg or a high rune etc and buy it back for 1/10th cost in a few weeks kinda deal, you dont need that gear early unless you want it thats cool too but just remember as prices drop on the decent items the higher tier stuff will stay way more expensive in comparison making it harder to aquire endgame stuff.
Anywho im glad to be back, i hope this helps some people and i hope to see you all at ladder reset! GL and HF 🙂 -Kappa